Thursday 11 April 2013

Back to basics

Have you ever said something along the lines of 'I wish I had long nails, but mine just can't grow'? *Virtual slap* Stop saying that. 

Here is a fun fact, if you want long and luscious nails you can have them. Here is a not-so-fun fact, if you are not genetically blessed with strong nails then it can be hard work. 

Allow me to let you in on a dirty little secret - I used to be a biter. Yes, it's true, I am deeply ashamed. Everything changed on my 18th birthday when my girlfriends bestowed upon me my very first OPI's. I adored them, and then I looked down at my stumpy, bitten nails and thought 'well this ain't gonna work'. The biting stopped then. Now, I am asked on a daily basis how I got such healthy nails and the answer is: I worked for them. And when I am feeling gangster, the answer is: I worked for them bitch.  

An important thing to remember is that long nails are not the same as healthy nails. And some of the loveliest nails I have seen are petites! But the healthier and stronger your nails, the easier it will be to grow them. 

This post is for everyone out there who thinks their nails "can't" grow. Like my mother, who continuously uses her nails as a gardening apparatus for digging holes and then questions why her nails always break. 




Water isn’t just good for the body, it’s good for the nails too. Keep your nails hydrated and you’ll prevent dryness  and breaking




Using a base coat will not only prevent your nails from turning yellow, it will also help your manicure last longer. Miss Ashleigh Base Coat $10.00 AUD. 



Keep your nails healthy with a regular cut and trim, even if you are growing them out! If you’d rather file, remember to always file in one direction, not back and forth. The back-and-forth motion will weaken the nail. 


In the garden, in the sink - wear gloves. Prolonged water exposure will soften & weaken nails. Harsh chemicals will lead to splitting and peeling. Using your nails as a spade will always have consequences. 



Not even Beyonce could make cracked, dry cuticles look good, so invest in some cuticle oil. 
Apply before bed and give the nail a little massage, it will keep cuticles soft and promote new nail growth. 




By all means, the above steps are not the only ways to help get your nails strong and healthy. But for me, they are the basics and they are certainly a good place to start!









No comments:

Post a Comment